Ladies and Gentlemen,

At last!!

The 1968 recording of Mahler 9 by Otto Klemperer conducting
the Vienna Philharmonic has been released by Testament label
(SBT8 1365).

My absolute dream came true. Now I have one less worry before
I die. I hope many listers will have a chance to listen to it.
It truly transcends time and space.

It has been so many years since I first encountered this performance.
The impact never diminishes. My heart almost stops each time
Roland Berger enters with his solo, particularly in the closing
Adagio.

This issue comes with an astonishingly vivid improvement in sound.
Unlike past (pirate) issues, the team must have had a direct access
to the original stereo tape by ORF. Also, it is properly licenced
by Wiener Philharmoninker.

This is a hefty 8 CD box set, but apart from Mahler 9, it contains
so many other gems like Mozart Sereade 12 K388 (Berger again) and
Jupiter, Beethoven 4/5, Schubert 8, Bruckner 5, Bach Brandenburg 1,
R. Strauss Don Juan, Wagner Siegfried Idyll/Tristan/Meistersinger
and even Brahms' Deutsches Requiem. (Unlike Mahler 9, many of these
have been issued in an authentic manner in the past, but the sound
improvement must justify another try. Schubert 8 and Bruckner 5
here are still regarded as ageless standards by many.)

Happy listening!

Jun Yamada