So

Bill says to use Brasso to free up a valve with deposits on it.

Stuart says no because this will mess up everything.

I have to agree with Stuart in almost all cases of this problem.  If there
is a "deposit" on the valve that is slowing it down Brasso is just the wrong
move.  Brasso is a very mile abrasive but there is a fine chance that the
abrasive will stay in the horn and work on the valves for months.  It makes
much more sense to remove the deposit, or grime with a cleaner with no
abrasive.  Some folks still use some type of acid* cleaner and some use
ultrasound or other cleaners.  These are just liquid, they wash off and are
gone after you are done.  I use to use abrasive when I was working on piston
valves that had  dents in the cases but I haven't needed to do that for some
time... I learned more efficient ways that didn't wear down the valves and
the cases.  Sure, competent folk do use abrasives on rotor valves but mostly
for refitting after a replating job.

*I am vague about the acid because I don't want people trying it... this is
dangerous stuff, let's not talk about it.

LLBrown, Messingschlager