Angela,

Without quoting your post:

1. Count your (Bent) Blessings:  (One-One Thousand, Two-One Thousand....)
Blessings are used by band directors because they are cheap.  It is my opinion
that they are not good mouthpieces.  I've tried them and lots of others, and
the Blessings are rarely good for development or performance.   My opinion, but
there you are.

Bending mouthpieces used to be a more common practice in repair shops (see
repair manuals from the 1930's), and it was done to correct for dentition
problems.  With the advent of orthodontia en masse, it is rare to require a
mouthpiece be bent.  There are right and wrong ways to bend mouthpieces.  The
right
way involves cutting a "V" into the shank at just the approriate place, then
bending and brazing the mouthpiece back into a single unit.  The wrong way is
just bend it.  If a bad mouthpiece is bent and produces a worse mouthpiece,
have you gained anything?  Still, some band directors will do anything for the
right effect on the field.  Reminds me of Lt. Scheiskopf (that's his name,
right?) from Catch-22, who was so obsessed with parades that he wanted to
install
bolts from the soldiers' arms to their hips to keep their arms from swinging.

2. Conn Flakes - a well-balanced meal:  Horn balance can be an important
issue for some people.  Finke horns are designed especially to achieve the kind
of
balance you want in your 8D.  You'll notice that each wrap of horn has its
own peculiar balance issues.  I am sure you'll get a lot of good suggestions
about what to do to counter-balance the high center of gravity.  Many different
schemes could work, but I think you should try a strap, such as the Clebsch
strap.  It won't change the balance, but it will allow you to hold the horn
more
easily.

There's a trombonist here in our town who has the most incredible
contraptions soldered and glued to his horns to achieve a perfect balance.  I
guess it
works, but it sure is goofy looking.  Whenever I work on his horns I have to
work around these Rube Goldberg-like devices.  Not fun.

Dave Weiner
Brass Arts Unlimited