There are several reasons suggested for this problem. Unless the horns
are miked and tracked separately, it doesn't seem likely to blame the delay
on the sound engineers. The fact that the horns are the only ones late
suggests that it is not a problem understanding the conductor's beet. Rather
it is most likely a timing problem caused by 1) the way the horns attack
entrances or 2) the time delay of the reflected sound.
   For the first point it seems important for the hornists to be completely
ready at least a beat ahead of the entrance, if possible, with air support,
embouchure and tongue position so that at the moment of the attack all you
need to do is release the tongue and the note plays; for some players this
may take some practice to do this. Phil Meyers recommends preparing for an
entrance in time with the rhythm: breathe, set, release. It is very
important for horn players to be ready ahead of the beat so that they can
more easily compensate for the time delay of the reflected sound. If you
attack the entrance exactly on the beat or exactly with the instruments
around you, the horn sound will be late. A beat before the entrance is too
late to be getting ready to play.
   Regarding the second point, the reflected sound, the ideal distance
between the bell and the reflector is 6 feet or approximately 2 meters and
the bells and or reflector surface should be positioned so that the sound is
reflected past or around the bell, not straight back into it. For most of
us, the reflector is the back wall. A curtain in front of the back wall is
not a reflector, but if the curtain material is particularly heavy, it may
be a sound absorber; in that case you may need to place a portable reflector
in front of the curtain. At six feet, the sound delay is tolerable (5-6
milliseconds) and is usually barely noticeable by the audience but may be
quite noticeable in a digital recording. It might seem obvious then that the
closer your bell is to the reflector surface the better because it reduces
the delay, but this turns out to be not true. If the bell is closer than
four feet, then the sound cannot reflect around or past the bell effectively
and much or all of the sound reflects back into the bell so you have quite a
battle going on trying to push out new sound while the old sound is trying
to get back in. This leads to exhausted players and missed notes and the
poor audience doesn't get their due. Farther than six feet and the sound
delay becomes noticeably objectionable.
   The faster the tempo, the more noticeable the delay and the more
necessary to articulate ahead. At mm 60, each beat is 1000 milliseconds, a
delay of 5 milliseconds is .5% (hardly noticeable). At mm 120, each beat is
500 milliseconds, so a delay of 5 milliseconds is 1% of a beat (more
noticeable) and so on. This is what makes after beats such a challenge at
fast tempos for hornists; as the tempo gets faster you have to play after
beats closer to the beat or they will sound later and later. This is why it
helps to have the snare drums also play after beats, because they don't have
the delay problem that horns have, then you just sync with the drums.
   If you are hearing a 1/4 beat delay, them my guess is that your bells are
at least 15 feet or more from a reflecting surface or else you don't have a
useful reflecting surface, like when a band or orchestra is positioned in
the middle of an auditorium away from any walls.
   Sometimes we have to play with the horns jammed up against the back wall.
The only solution I have for this situation is to sit at an angle to the
wall so the sound is reflected past the bell to one side or the other like a
pool ball deflecting off the edge of the table. The angle has to be such
that the sound is reflected between the players and not into your neighbor's
bell.
   The biggest obstacle to solving the delay problem is often the setup crew
and/or the conductor who more often than not don't have a clue or a care
about the correct positioning of horns in regards to the reflecting surface
and get quite angry if you try to "educate" them. Ensembles are usually
setup from the podium to back (as if the conductor is the most important)
and the horns end up where they end up; the correct setup should be from the
back to the front starting with the correct position for the horns. Such is
the life of a hornist.

Loren Mayhew
\@()
[EMAIL PROTECTED]