I'd like to add one more point - if you do not wish to sing, for whatever
reason, you have my deepest sympathy but there is another thing you can try
that involves only your horn:

Do not buy music, just think of a song you know "by ear" - a children's song
like Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, a folk song, even a Broadway tune or
opera aria you know - and play that song on your horn.  It is fantastic
practice for training the musical mind.  Favorite hymn tunes, anything at
all will do.  If a tune is moderately challenging for you, practice it
regularly, working it up to performance level as you would any written
music.  My personal favorites are Christmas Carols - hey, it's only 10 weeks
until Christmas.

-S-