Your informations are definitely wrong. Have you ever attended a rehearsal of a Bruckner Symphony or a Mahler Symphony ? I doubt that. There is so much to play that everyone is happy at the break.
    Do you earnestly think that practising is continuous playing ?

In my limited experience, I have not attended a rehearsal of either. I was operating within the limited boundaries of my own experience; rehearsals stop and start, the conductor asks for something different, we play again. And so on. I will try to make less generalizations in the future. I do not think of practicing as continuous playing. That was simply a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was the time that you set aside for practicing. For example, I just (4:15- 5:50) set aside an hour and a half. I did not practice for the entire hour and a half, I took many short breaks but the majority was playing. I apologize again for my poor choice of words

William Foss