I wrote this to the other list a few weeks ago.

KB
--- Begin Message ---

Steve Colley wrote:

KB,

Write more about freebuzzing when you get a moment. Range?  Tone quality?
Actual exercises...etc.

And several others responded with their opinions and relayed other  opinions.

My opinion is that free buzzing and mouthpiece buzzing as practice  aids are
virtually useless compared to real horn playing, meaning with  the horn.  I
know of several people who harmed themselves by getting  addicted to free
buzzing as an integral part of their daily routine.  They  lost control, sound
quality and dynamic range.  Only after getting back to  "real" practicing did
things return and progress was made.

I do use free buzzing for certain things, though.  One is to  help people
discover their natural embouchure.  I am constantly amazed at  how many people
play with horrible contortions to their face.  No, I won't  describe the
process
here.  I don't have time and I really can't do it  justice without personal
contact as it is a highly individualized  endeavor.  If I ever write a book on
the subject, I'll let you all  know.  Another use is for a short pre-warmup
just to get the blood  circulating though I find ISO-kinetic lip stretching is
better for that.  I  talk about that at camp and have a handout on that.  If I
ever find the  scan of it, maybe I'll put on the KBHC website.  Jimmy Chambers
use to buzz  into his fingers as a warm up.  I use to do my lip stretches in
the car on the way to rehearsals and concerts.  Really helped to get warmed
up during Minnesota winter.

As to buzzing the mouthpiece, again I find it useless compared to playing
the horn.   I've tried it and I've know many brass players who  swore by it and
did it a lot every day.  It just never really helped me  compared to spending
that time on real horn playing.

I am also not a fan of breathing apparati, BERP, etc., but I know  successful
players who swear by that stuff as well.  I do recommend aerobic  exercise
and weight training, though I have given up the 16oz. arm lifts as well  as
carbon monoxide resistance training.

These are just my opinions.  Others obviously say that these things  work for
them and are helpful.  Different strokes, etc.....

KB

PS:  For the record, I can free buzz all over the range and hit a  high C
with the horn on a table or shelf if I can get the right  mouthpipe angle to
set
my chops properly.  I practice most of the time with  my little finger on top
of the pinky hook with no flippers, duck's feet or  tethers on my horns.  Try
that to help reduce your mouthpiece pressure and  get away from the "Lefty
Armstrong" school of  playing.

--- End Message ---