I was able to have an interesting conversation at the recent NE Horn workshop
with Chris Huning from Paxman's.  Alexander was literally bumping elbows with
them on the same display table, and they had their new triple with the change
valve in the bell tail.  I asked Mr. Huning how they felt about Alexander using
their design concept and the response was basically that it is incredibly
difficult to patent such things and they were not really concerned.  I have no
knowledge of the European/British patent systems so cannot address this, but it
seems to me that it is much more restrictive than the US, meaning redundancy of
concept and iteration of that concept are more scrutinized than here in the
states.
  I would think that if Alexander still had viable patent rights on their 103
then Duerk would not be able to have started their own shop.  The D3 is
advertised as an improved and nearly perfected 103.
  Paxmaha