In a message dated 12/23/05 5:22:09 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> their student instruments usually play as well or better than their custom,
> hand made horns of the same design.

Yamaha's Custom Series (800 models) included the following:
Model   861- a Geyer   style instrument
            862- a revised Kruspe style instrument
            863- a Schmidt style instrument
            867- a Knopf style instrument
These horns were handmade and they were discontinued after the mid 1990s.
There were no student models of these horns. There were some other Yamaha
models that were somewhat similar to these models, but the Custom horns were
unique of the Yamaha models.

Also, in regard to this discussion, advertising is just advertising and just
because a maker labels their instrument a pro level horn does not in fact make
it one. Especially if your definition of a pro horn is one that is well
received and used by many professional performers.
If all of the manufacturers had their acts together, their so called "pro
level horns" would be the best horns they produced. Unfortunately, this is not
always the case.
 Some manufactures try to avoid certain terminology in their advertising that
they think might limit their sales. That is why we see few "student model"
instruments and   few, if any,"small bells". Some even avoid providing
information as to who made their horn and what country the instrument was made
in. We
will see even more of this in the future.
The history of horn advertising has had too many examples of people endorsing
certain horns and not using them (or in some cases, using highly customized
versions of the horn to be able to play on it).
My point here is that horn advertising is just like other advertising and I
think we all have to take it as such.
I had a great experience in the 70's with manufacturer BS.
I was playing extra with the CSO and the Midwest Band Convention was going on
only three blocks from the hall.
Frank Brouk and I walked over to see the displays after a rehearsal and when
we got to a certain manufacturers booth, Frank picked up their new double horn
and started to try it.
Their rep. Immediately came over and started to tell him about how good it
was.
Brouk (who had a fantastic sense of humor) asked him a few questions about
the horn and the rep. then told us that this model horn was so good, that the
company had given one to each member of the CSO and they liked them so much
they
were all playing on one. Frank's response was one of "Really? That's
fantastic! It must be a really great horn."
The rep. went on to assure us that this horn was IT! We should both buy one.
Frank thanked him and started to walk away from the booth (with the horn
still with him), The rep. cleared his throat a few times as Frank got further
away
from the booth with the horn, and then he finally said, "Sir, I believe
that's our horn."
Frank turned around and smiled at him and said "Oh, I 'm sorry, I thought I
could keep it since I play with the CSO and did not get mine yet."
Boy, was that rep embarrassed !!
Paul Navarro