I think the "true American sound" would be that of Anton Horner.   Think
about this, he had a hand in the invention and propogated the use of  the large
belled nickel silver horn.  He also worked for a conductor,  Stokowski, who had
unique and revolutionary ideas about  sound.  Horner's stule really only
caught on in the US and what  Leonard mentions is more or less correct as even
Cleveland has a coast line,  though fresh water.  I think Szell was after a
more
Viennese sound, though.  Problem is that this has evolved into something it is
not in many instances  these days as too many players stuff their big mitts
too far up the  bell.  The "other American" sound the Leonard refers to is
more,
 IMO, of the traditional European sound, if there is such a thing, with some
variances.

Hans mentions vowels and languages and this is to be considered.   Vowel
shape is one very important aspect of tone production and different  languages
make players hear things differently in music as well.  I have  had success
playing and teaching a wide open throat syllable in order to get the  player to
produce the biggest, roundest sound that their aural cavity and  sinuses allows
them to create.  In this way, you find your best individual  sound.  Then, you
can play on any equipment you want to properly and really  hear the difference
between horns, mp's, alloys, etc.  My system seems to  work for most folks,
though not everyone I have taught at one time or another  uses it exactly.  I
will note, also, that I have never heard this syllable  used in any language,
not even Jerseyese. Bright/dark/centered/hollow are  all kind of subjective
terms, though.  What Hans might write to describe a  type of sound and what I
would write after hearing the exact same player might  be completely different.

I came from the Horner school and still subscribe  to that but Hans said I
have a "bright" sound.  Leonard calls it  "dark" which is more of the corrupted
(muffled) version.  I think  of my sound as "wide," "clear" and "centered."
Good  oxymoron?

Another problem I encounter frequently now amongst players relates to my
buzzy FF up close to being good.  it's not any good if it doesn't sound  good
in
the hall away from you and good up close as well.  Of course, that  buzz saw,
or a**tone as I like to call it, doesn't project very well but it  still annoys
the hell out of most of the folks close to you.  Of course, if  they sound
like that, then I guess you are ok with it unless you try to play  somewhere
else.  Funny how many of the conductors running around these days  want that
type
of sound.  I guess that makes sense, though, that a**holes  would want to
hear a**tone!

Hans is right about everyone sounding the same!  God forbid that it  ever
happens!  Personally, I miss the nationalistic sounds of the past as  well as
the
diversity we use to have in the US.  I can always pick out  Vienna, though!
And Hans, they are all sounding the same, very loud, and  attendance is down!
You are right about interpretation though.  I  don't hear a lot of fine
interpretations these days but lots of clean technical  performances.  Who
knows?
Maybe the audiences really want lots of  vibrato and clams!  I know someone
very well who can give them that!

KB

Mark Seuron wrote:

What is  the difference in the American and the universal sound?  Also   is
the
American sound from Jones, chambers, etc. or Hollywood?   What do  major
American orchestras  play?

Ron<<<<<<<<

Leonard replied:

Ron,
I have lived in a true cultural backwater for too  many years but the last
time I checked there were 2 "American  Sounds".  In any area that is touched
by salt water a darker 8D sound  is very popular, inland a lighter, more
centered sound, is considered  correct.

Again folks, I am a true isolate and the above may no longer  be true.

LLBrown

Hans replied:

The  difference is the "vowel ouuh" in the sound in general
which is a result of  the language. Even that vowel is not
clean, but distorted. Were it clear  English, it would be
better (See the British School).

Dont attack me  for that, but it is a fact. Italians would
never play with a rather dark  tone as their language is of
the brighter part, so is it with the Japanese.  Germany is
divided, as some prefer to go after the language which  has
quite bright vowels, while others follow the rather dark (or
hollow)  sound concept, if it can be seen as a concept at
all, even it sounds like a  hollow oven pipe.

The Hollywood players, Chikago school, St.Louis,  Denver,
Bill Capps students & Bill Vermeulens students or  Kendall
Betts can be seen different as they play much brighter
(clear  sound, shiny) than the mass of players in the USA. I
do not see Phil Myers  as belonging to the dark school. These
are just a few samples. Most  soloists anyway exhibit
themselves from the masses. But the mass counts for  a
certain school.

And there is NO universal sound & hopefully  will NEVER be
any. Who would attend concerts if all sound the same ?  Just
counting the missed notes, which even a macxhine could do.

But  music is universal as sound concept is. And all kind of
taste must be  satisfied. So there is a certain margin to the
left & to the right. As  long as the players move within
these limitations, everything is o.k. This  applies for tone
concept & interpretation as well.

Admire the  diversity, if the things are well done. But
ignore the mediocre, if the  players try to exhibit
themselves (or just their technique) in a  penetrating
(stinky !!) & antimusical way, - hopefully unsuccessful  -,
to make everybody believe, their tone concept & their way  of
interpretation would be the only possible. It is the same
with all  kind of religions.

The exclusivity claim is wrong allways.