In a message dated 1/7/06 12:54:44 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> A leak somewhere will usually cause a buzz somewhere on a
> certain pitch, right?

Hi William,
I do not believe that this is true in relation to valve leakage- or even
other leakage sometimes- such as solder breaks in tube connections. Leakage in
the
valves will cause some deterioration in the sound quality (generally as a
lack of resonance-see my original post) or the intonation and response, but not
buzz.
The problems caused by valve leaking can go unnoticed by many players because
the changes in the way the instrument reacts because of the leakage can be
very subtle.
Paul Navarro