Hi Hans,

Cylindrical casings such as those found on Finke and Engelbert Schmid horns
are open on both ends so when they are worn the casings can be honed just
like a trumpet valve. The rotor can be then replaced with an oversized one
with minimal fitting. In fact, provided the valves are kept oiled, you can
expect any rotary valve that is properly fit to last for ten-to-fifteen
years with minimal attention. Conversely, if routine maintenance is
neglected the best valves can be expected to wear prematurely and have all
the usual sticking, clicking problems too. Horn playing is tough enough
without having to contend with a dirty instrument with mechanical problems.

Regards,

Bob