Tschaikowsky Symphony #2 the opening horn solo plays the folksong "Down my
Mother Volga River". When I played it I took a breath at the end of the third
measure, and again after the third beat of the fifth measure. One could also
take a quick breath after the second beat of the seventh measure to emphasize
the rubato in that measure. The two breath marks match the words in the song.
Also in the third measure before A take a breath after the third beat ONLY if
the winds also take a breath there. Finally at the end of the first movement
the horn also has the melody, this time accompanied. Take the breaths as in the
opening if the conductor indicates that in the phrasing of his/her conducting.
Otherwise breath according to the condustor's direction, which might include
taking a big breath and playing those final 8 bars in one breath.
Regards.Harriet & Nielsen Dalley