For the record, the Paxman in question here was an F alto-Bb soprano double
horn.  Paxman made the one for BT to use on the Zelenka recordings with  Bobby
Routch on 2nd.  He did return the horn after the sessions.  I  don't know if
the "Don't want it, won't buy it" story is true but he told me  that it was
good for that repertoire.

Paxman's Bb-Bbsoprano model has been in their catalogue for many years and  I
have known some good players who own(ed) them including Bobby Routch, Herb
Winslow and Chuck Kavalovski.

Alexander had an F alto-Bb soprano full double in their catalogue for a
while but I never saw one "in the brass."

My teacher,  Prof. I.M. Gestopftmitscheist, has recently discovered  that the
missnamed "Wagner Tube" (which he had discoverd earlier should actually  be
called the "Mozart Tube" since Mozart did write a "hand tube" concerto, later
reworked for the bassoon that KBHCer's have heard him perform on occasion at
camp on his right-handed-Eb-Wagner-Tube) actually has it's roots in the
baroque  era and was known as the "Tube da caccia."  Hand stopping was not
known on
this instrument in the baroque era as it did not start until the later
classical era when the food got better and people grew bigger and had longer
arms.
 The Prof. has aquired a four-valve model, previously owned by Paul  Navarro
and the USC marching band, which he has dubbed, appropriately I  think, the
"Telemann Tube."  This unusual instrument is pitched  in F (or E or even Eb if
you pull some slides) and has all the notes  on it from A to F.  He will be
perforiming baroque masterpieces on  this instrument at KBHC 2006 which should
result in a revival or even a revile  of interest in it.  The good Prof. G.
calls these sort of studies of the  history of instruments "hornography" but
did
not get a trademark due to  mispelling it on the application.

Does anyone know if it is true that the first F alto horn was invented 15
minutes after the world premiere of the Schumann Konzertstueck?  If so, who
made it?  Where is it now?  Was it copied?  If so, are the  Chinese selling
them
on E-bay and for how much including shipping?  Are  they any good?  Do they
have a high E on them? Have your students brought  them to lessons when you
have
assigned them Brandenburg 1 or 2 and told them  they need a descant horn in
order to play this repertoire?  Can you  practice M-A up an octave on them to
improve your upper register the same as you  can practice Kopprasch on a low F
horn an octave lower to improve your low  register?

KB
_www.horncamp.org_ (http://www.horncamp.org)

In a message dated 1/22/2006 9:04:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,