I have recent experience that seems to fit into this thread, so I'll chime in here... For the past 2 years I've played a Paxman triple. I also play off the leg, and have been able to continue this even with the heavier horn, though of course not as easily as I did with my previous doubles. About 4 months ago had some free time and looked more in depth into the concept of the 'pip stick', and decided to try to construct a substitute. What I came up with does not connect to the horn totally at the center of gravity point (I have it connecting at an existing brace that is close to this point), which is best for ultimate ease of use, but even so, it does make holding the horn up much easier. Now that I find the overall concept successful, I will now work toward refinements. btw, I looked into purchasing one of these before trying to do my own, but the inventor (Pip Eastop) is in Britain, and his quote for the sale includes a lesson with him to explain usage - this was not practical, so did my own.

Fred

To: <horn@music.memphis.edu>
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2006 12:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Fwd: Lighter weight horns

Since I (and a few others on this list) play a Schmid I thought I'd put in
my two pfennings worth.

I do like the fact that the Schmid is lightweight, but I do not think it is
the lightest out there since Finke's may be a few grams lighter.

However I like the light weight because it is just easier and more
comfortable to hold. As far as the playing goes if I'm more comfortable with the horn
I'll play better - I don't really think it's the other way around. I don't
think the lightness of the horn has anything to do with how it plays because everyone is different and there is no way to be objective about that. But, maybe
there is some validity to it making the horn easier to hold thus easier to
play?

I know when I play on anything heavy like a Paxman or a Yamaha for a while,
no matter how well they play (and the new Yamaha's are pretty decent I was
surprised to find out) I still would rather get more tired due to how heavy the horn is. I like to play off the thigh as much as possible, and with a heavier horn since my muscles aren't used to it that much I would not be able to for
very long with a much heavier horn.

And playing differences between the lightest Finke and the heavier 668II
were not that different to me when I tried them out this summer (although I'd probably go for the Finke). I try to sound like William on whatever horn I play
anyway and I hope no horn will ever seriously change that.

Besides, no matter how many grams lost here or there or new fangled metals
you use unless you get the basics right no horn will really be a miracle.

So, I always felt it was finding the right horn for you because there is no
particular horn for everybody's tastes.

-William

In a message dated 1/22/2006 1:54:00 P.M. Central Standard Time,