In a message dated 1/24/06 1:03:55 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I think a better way to look at the idea of
> tone production would be to apply different "colors'
> of sound depending on the individual piece

This is a healthy and correct approach to sound/tone.

It is important to think of yourself as an artist that needs and has many
different colors of paint to work with.
Consider how limited your work would be if you had only one color to work
with.

After you are able to assemble a full palate of colors, then you are able to
work developing the different types of brush strokes (articulation), the
different depths of the individual colors (weight of sound, articulation,
dynamics,
accents, etc.), and the overall idea of what you want to paint and how you
want to paint it (interpretation).
Then you will have developed some artistic versatility and can really do
justice to the music you are performing and make a valid contribution to your
art.

Paul Navarro