The following was excerpted from a review of a performance of
Shostakovich's 7th Symphony by one the Juilliard School's orchestras
(presumably their A-team, though this is not specified):

This anonymous percussionist toiled away in the middle of the back row,
with one timpanist on either side for punctuation. But at one point, when
the strings had achieved close to maximum crescendo, a set of four
previously hidden battery mates stood with the precision of an Air Force
drill team. Like the horns standing at the end of Mahler's First Symphony,
this was a thrilling effect.

For once, a critic (Fred Kirshnit) gets it. It's all visual and it is
exciting (I would use a different adjective - unnerving, most prominently -
from my perspective as a player remembering numerous times that I have
played the piece [Mahler, that is]) though there is no discernible
difference from perspective of audibility. I have been thinking a lot
lately about my relationship with music, performance, recordings and
concerts and how they relate to each other and this little example is
further food for thought.

Peter Hirsch