From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 2:52 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Re: Conn vs. Yamaha vs. Hoyer, etc.

Given a choice, I'd take the Yamaha 668II.  The best Kruspe  Horner
clone on
the market today.  The Hoyer is a good copy of  the 8D but is just that,
copy.  It has all the old faults most notably  the intonation,
especially in the
upper register.  The current Conn 8D  is actually a King in Conn
clothing.  N
ot much to rave about  there.  The 9D is also crap, IMHO, as just a
funny
hybrid done as  a marketing gimmick.  The 10D, actually a 6D wrapped up
like a
Geyer, is  their best player now.  The 11D is a funny hybrid, like the
9D.   The
Yamaha has a good scale and response, nice but not particularly
distinctive
sound, is well made and at a street price under the Conn or the Hoyer, a

bargain to boot!  Don't rule out the Holton Merkermatics, either, in
this price
range.  I would consider those over the current Conns and  Hoyers.

KB