I have one of those Kings that I picked up for $200. My understanding is that it is a very faithful copy of a very good old Schmidt. I discovered on mine that, once I got the whole thing in tune, 1st valve G was quite in tune, but open F, just below it, was better played 2/3. The horn plays as well, and maybe a little 'bigger' than other Bbs I've played, and is extremely agile.

The most important thing I've found so far is that an F attachment is a necessity for blending, and playing with the best possible sound. Any good tech can make you an F crook to replace the stopping crook. Get used to using it to play C, E, and G with an open F horn sound. It provides a tone foundation for the rest of the sound. After a while, you can play more without the F attachment, once that sound is fixed in your mind.

Restudy the DB recordings and practice standing up, as a soloist. You'll learn whole new dimensions to your horn playing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kent Spielmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Sent: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 16:14:27 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [Hornlist] Need Bb Single Horn Advice

I have been reading the posts on Denis Brain's horn. I
seems hard to imagine he made that beautiful sound on
a Bb. I thought they were just for converted trumpet
players.

Any way an opportunity came my way to by a Bb single
horn two days ago for not too much so I jumped at the
chance.
The horn is not much to look at, most of the lacquer
has come off and the bell looks like it was badly
crumpled before being straightened out.

Still, I was surprised how well it blew. It does not
have any major dents and the valves seem to be in good
shape.

The 4th (thumb) valve seems odd as it is exactly the
same length as the 1st valve. so it lowers the pitch
by a full step. Perhaps it has a large bell and deeds
to be longer to properly compensate for stopping?

The bell says:
King
Made by
H.N White Co
Cleveland, Ohio

In the second valve case there is the serial number:
SN 349871-HN.

Can any one tell me about this make of horn? What its
reputation is and if it is worth putting much money
into it to clean it up?

Second, when would one want to use a single Bb horn?
Is it really an instrument I should hold on to? I have
been playing a Conn 8D (N series)my father bought me
new in the early 70's. It seem to me the Bb horn may
be pretty difficult to play in tune.

Finally, is there a way to make the lower notes on the
horn (below concert middle c)sound better. They sound
as tubby on this horn as on the Bb side of the 8D.

Hornspieler