John Kowalchuk wrote:
Okay, I missed one detail.

At 07:03 AM 2/6/06 -0800, Kent Spielmann wrote:
This is what I thought. However on this horn the 4th
is indeed exactly the same length as the 1st.

On Bb horns with an A/+ stop valve, there is a short section which
extends
the stopping slide from 3/4 tone to a full tone as you have now.  You
now
have an "A" valve.  With the extra piece removed, if it had/has one,
it
would be a stop valve.

Just needed more caffeine to figure it out.

Have another cup, John. Bb to A requires lowering the open horn by the length of the *second* valve slide, not the first. With the equivalent of an extra first valve slide, it changes from Bb to Ab, and as some have mentioned, would make it easy to play "horn in Eb" parts without transposing.

Most of us have probably played so many Eb parts that it would be of no particular interest to us, but a youngster playing an Eb alto band part might find it very useful indeed.

Mine definitely has an H section in that slide, but it's old and stuck pretty tight. One of these days I'm going to have to un-stick it, and maybe shorten the extension a bit. I think it would be more useful as an A/stopping valve, rather than an A/Ab valve.

Now that I think of it, though, I've noticed that there's *lots* of extension in that slide. I'll bet it could change from A to a stopping valve just by pulling the slide out a bit.