Christine Ranson wrote:
I'm having some mouthpiece issues currently, I don't understand
anything about them!

I'm a 4th year at college and I play on a paxman 4B mouthpiece
currently, I have a very good high register (it has been described as 'fantastic'
but I don't want to blow my own), and an incredibly poor lower register.

I recently had a go of my friends' -  which is a paxman 23 standard
rim, and the low register sounded good and I still had my high register.

<rest of the very long thread snipped>

I dunno how big a Paxman 4B is, but I'm guessing it's not as wide as a Denis Wick 4N, which is what I play. For more years than I care to think about, I played on "standard" size mouthpieces, with varying degrees of success. I didn't have a low range until I finally tried the 4N, and finally had something that fit my natural embouchure.

The reason I mention this particular mouthpiece, is because it's quite affordable, and readily available (online, if not locally). Many online dealers will let you order mouthpieces to try out, and return ones that don't work for you, so you could probably try one without risking more than postage.