Beauty?? As in the Rite of Spring? Can the horn not produce required "bad
carnal sounds"? Of course Mahler and Tchaikovsky are different.  I still wonder
why, if not for "eye candy" (sorry don't know the german translation).

As far as Butterfly, if I remember right, Campana Alzata is notated at the
end of the first act. He marks the horns ff and the rest of the orchestra f.
RIght where Pinkerton and Butterfly are talking about how beautiful the night
and
the stars are...Puccini always the joker.  Now why would Puccini have the
horns wailing away with bells raised on straight eighth notes while the two
singers were talking about the weather?

LT