I was interested to read the posts that encourage
natural horn playing.

It seems to me that the most inspiring tunes for horn
tend to lay well on the natural horn. Case in point,
the horn call from Til Eulenspiegel. I enjoy
practicing it on the natural horn and wonder if
Strauss didn't hear his father playing it as a warm-up
that way.

The last phrase would be:
   G  C  D  Eb E  F  F# A  G  E  C  G  E  C  G  C
FO:         =     -  '  -
Key: = 1/2 closed; - 1/4 closed; ' extra open; (+
stopped)

Being an amateur I have never played the solo in
concert and can't say I have ever heard a recording of
it on the natural horn. Is it ever done that way? I
think it would be effective.

However, given that people expect it to be done on the
valved horn, what is the best way to play this solo?
My thought is that the best compromise between tone
and security is to do it all on the F side except for
the high A (B12):
   G  C  D  Eb E  F  F# A   G  E  C  G  E  C  G  C
  F0  0  0  2  0  1  2 B12 F0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0
I'd be interested in the opinions of others on this.

Kent Hornspielermann