Yeah, it's wonderful for horn players to be able to transpose, and it's wonderful for horn teachers to teach their students how to transpose.

My teacher taught me, so I know how. But I didn't go into professional horning, I don't play as often as I would like to, and so for some keys I am trepidacious and I stumble mightily because although I learned and I know how, I never practiced enough.

The same problem plagues many of my math students, especially at the elementary level. I can explain the rules of say, addition and subtraction of positive and negative numbers, but unless they take the bull by the horns and practice a million times they don't get it. I tell them that, I provide them websites and my own programs that give them infinite practice, but they don't put in the effort even when coaxed, much less take the initiative. So to a great extent, I move in the direction of exonerating teachers - having laid it out to the students and provided learning materials, it is then up to the students to take the responsibility. If they won't do it, too bad. I don't mean to sound anti-student - time and energy are limited, and choices must be made.

Meanwhile, my C transposition is now nearly fluent because of the vocal collections that I mention here from time to time. Hal-Leonard, Alfred, Schirmer & others publish books that include piano or orchestra accompaniment on CD - songs and arias for all voices. There is infinite practice at a very high level of enjoyment.

        {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
        { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }