From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Larry Jellison
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 5:49 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] Re: curious pricing -- experiencing Mozart in
ruralOregon

All this neh, neh, neh, regarding whether or not to
read the concertos in their originally composed key or
not... well, there are other ways to experiencing
Mozart: as a kid in the 1960's, I remember when my
horn instructor sat the sheet music for the  K. 412
(1st Concerto) in front of me, presented for horn in F
with three sharps.  My horn instructor didn't explain
that the concerto was composed for natural horn in the
key of D.  To me, it was composed in three sharps: a
bright sounding key signature with a lot a
cross-fingering on 16th note runs.  Cool.  The genius
of the music was obvious to me, even if I didn't know
about natural horns and transposition.

I am compelled to think that Mozart would have loved
to compose for the valved horn, with the same flair
that he composed for piano and for string instruments.