Which way sounds better?

On Mar 1, 2006, at 9:59 AM, Steve Freides wrote:

I thought I'd share my thinking on a fingering choice and see what y'all
say.

Last night I was handed Horn 4 on Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man." My part opens with the figure F-C-F which also happens several more times. (First space F, 3rd space C, top line F.) The rhythm is two sixteenth and an eighth tied to a longer note, in a fairly slow tempo (quarter is about
50) but it's still pretty quick for me as a novice horn player.

The "by the book" fingering for me, because I usually switch starting with C# or D, would be to F1, F0, T0 but the figure seems so natural- horn-like that changing fingerings for every note just seemed wrong. F1, T0, T0 is better, but T0 for all three notes is what I've settled on. I hope this a good example of "contextual" fingering - I usually play both the first two
notes on the F side but here it doesn't seem right.

I would, if I could, try all three notes as F1, but I think that is much
riskier because it's harmonics 6, 9, 12 versus 4, 6, 8 on the Bb horn.

Hans, et al, how am I doing?