Interestingly, I've heard from university professors in the last 5 years that
this problem has grown for them as the first wave of kids totally raised on
this "self-esteem" model hit college age. For example, they've seen more
students are challenging the "fairness" of low grades for poor quality work
(i.e., I completed the assignment so I should get an A regardless of quality)
and claiming mere attendance should earn them at least a B in a course. Even
worse are the ones who still have mommy and daddy calling the university to
complain about low grades.
  Since I'm only about 7 years older than most of them, it's surprising to me
the rapidity with which this has become so widespread and such a widely
discussed problem. Just my perspective.

  Erin B.
  St. Louis, MO

"Pandolfi, Orlando" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I can't help chuckling to myself, as just yesterday at a rehearsal I was
conducting, I said the exact same thing to the students. They were
showing dismay at my criticism that they were not listening properly and
therefore not doing what I had asked. I told them that merely showing
up is not good enough, despite what other teachers might be telling
them.

The psycho-babble Bill speaks of is rampant in private institutions as
well, and in fact, the privileged, with whom I (shamefully) admit I
spend most of my teaching time, expect the rewards even more than your
average "blue collar" student. The parents of the economically elite
students want and expect only success, and they will pay large amounts
of money to anyone who will provide such success, real or imagined, for
their child. I can't count the number of times the parent of an
applicant to my school has told me how "talented" their child was, only
to find that the student is some two chord, new age piano player whose
previous teacher told them how wonderful they were at $75 a lesson.
When they come to me, often the dose of reality is too shocking, and I
end up being the bad guy. In my horn studies, the teacher that was the
fussiest with me was the one that made me a much better player, despite
the fact that the blow to my ego was sometimes devastating. This is not
to say that a more diplomatic approach cannot accomplish the same thing,
but in retrospect, the direct honesty that was part of my tutelage was
much more efficient. I had to work quite hard to gain a compliment, but
I would not have it any other way.

I would love to know the name of the speaker Bill was paraphrasing, on
or off list.

O.