As an amateur, I've had a great time sitting back and reading the
discussion on transposition.  My horn teacher, who had better be proud to
read this, taught me that transposing is as integral on the horn as using
your right hand!  No, there is not "instant gratification" on transposing.
It's not like going to Best Buy and blowing a couple bills on the biggest tv
they sell...
   I think that transposing etudes is a win-win.  Perhaps it seems silly to
transpose etudes at Koprasch suggests.  Not only would one benefit by
working on transposition, but transposing an etude even up or down a third
completely changes the character.  I'm currently working on Kopprasch #17 in
book one.  I'm taking it down a third to horn in D.  It's a completely
different course in D than in F. Besides, many Kopprasch are in easy keys.

Mark Syslo