My 2 [currency units] on transposing:

1) It's handy and FUN to be able to fill in the part of who ever is absent in our tiny peripatetic band, whether in rehearsal or in concert.

2) I had to laugh when playing Gounod's "Petite Symphonie" the other day, the 2nd horn (I'd suggested he play 1st, but "seniority" rules) was clattering away with his valves in the Eb 2nd movt, switching from F side to Bb and complaining how hard it was. "You can play the whole thing on F1" I told him, but his reply was "I'm not used to the F-horn".
:-(
Another good reason for starting on the F.

Simon