Hello Seth, the numbers have the unique purpose to remind
you which cap to screw on which valve. If there is a
mechanical linkage (like uniball), there is no need for
strings.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Seth Urbach
Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2006 5:44 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] "Green-horn" Questions

Hello all,

 I am trying to pick up playing the horn again  after being
in college for 4 years. I played for 5 years, in middle and
high school, but I am still kind of a "greenhorn" ( pardon
the pun ;) I  was hoping someone could answer a couple of
questions I have.

  First, I never learned any of the science behind picking a
mouthpiece.  Does anyone know of a good website or other
resource where I can learn  the types, differences,
benefits, and pitfalls of horn mouthpieces? I  have always
just played with the mouthpiece that came with the horn the
school loaned me. I would like to know what makes
mouthpieces different  from each other.

  Second, a local shop has found a used double horn for me
that I am thinking of getting. It is a Getzen Elkhorn,
Serial Number 02767,
  It has:
157, 158, 159 stamped on the valves and valve caps
  56 stamped on the Bb valve and valve cap
  56 stamped on the keys
  I do not know what these numbers are for, maybe
replacement part numbers?
  Something unique about it, I thought, was that all of the
rotors have  mechanical linkage to the keys; there are no
strings for rotating the  valves.
  It is a Kruspe style wrap horn.
  It comes with a Reynolds-Pottag Model 6A Mouthpiece.

  It has dents and lacquer missing, but plays fine, to the
store's and my  knowledge. Does anyone have any comments to
make on such a horn?

  Third,  I am hoping to play with my church worship band. I
live in Oregon. Does  anyone know of a good resource for
finding Worship Sheet Music? Will I  most likely need to
transpose from another instrument for a majority of  songs?

  Thank you in advance for any help you are able to provide
me.

  Seth Urbach