Hiya,

Out from my lurkings I have an opinion to voice, and to my surprise it's a rare disagreement with Prof. P.

The Bb side of the horn doesn't have the characteristic horn sound of an F, but show me a 70 lb. 6th grader who can make a characteristic F horn sound and I'll show you a phenomenon. Give that kid a single F, put him into a carpeted band room and it will be a long, long time before anything characteristic comes out of the bell.

It's easier for kids to hit the right notes on a single Bb and they are lighter and easier to handle. Kids do fine with them. Once they have grown to a more adult size and can pump some air into their abdomen, they can make a good F horn kind of sound. By that time they should be using a double horn anyway.

I'm not making the case to start kids on either F or Bb. At a very young age it hardly matters. By the time it really matters they should have a double horn.

scottito