I think I agree.....I didn't start lessons until I went to college, I was self taught and went to wind orchestra rehearsals, which involve no transposition. My first transposition ever happened in the NYOW, Rach 2, and I had learned the part transposed UP instead of DOWN!

Anyway, I found transposition frightfully difficult until my 3rd year of college, and Bass clef even more difficult (as a result my low register is only now coming into shape in my 4th year!!) I wasn't even aware that there was so much transposition in the world until I started at college!

I wish I'd learned sooner and would encourage anybody I taught to think about it from very early on.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Re: Transposing
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:25:26 EST

In a message dated 27/02/2006 07:31:53 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

think  there is a point where the horn player has to start thinking about
learning transposition,but that usually doesn't come until right before
college

I disagree completely. My 10year old pupils can all transpose at least horn
in Eb at sight and can have a good go at Cand Bb as  well.  They'll attempt
any other transposition put in front of them. They don't find it difficult, they just do it as a matter of course- it's as natural to them as putting in the mouthpiece. The earlier you start, the better. Left until college age,
yes, then it might be difficult  to start.

All the best,

Lawrence

"þaes  ofereode - þisses swa maeg"

_http://lawrenceyates.co.uk_ (http://lawrenceyates.co.uk/)