I haven’t read the Kirby text, and Hans’ summation is very good. The stuff
isn’t new to me, as I
used it on the bass trombone, where it is much easier due to the much larger
mouthpiece & bore and
the resulting very reduced resistance.

I had been around a few brass band instruments until I came to the bass
trombone during my college
time, where I had a good teacher (member of the Royal Opera orchestra). We both
had good ears, so
it was plenty of fun to play duets. Depending a little on the voicing of the
duets we very often
played quartets, as our very in tune playing often induced the summation and
differential notes,
which Hans tells of.

The differential note often is used in church organs, where the space doesn’t
allow for the larger
16" stops. Here the aural effect of a 16" stop is achieved with meticulously
tuned 8" and 5 1/3"
stops representing the 2nd and 3rd partials of an imaginary 16" stop which
everybody can hear,
when the two said stops are both pulled. The combination most often is only
allocated to the
organ’s pedal keyboard.

A lot of my income has come from teaching the recorder and leading large
ensembles employing up to
6 sizes of this instrument. When doing pedagogical concerts for parents or
school classes each
size was presented. When the two sopraninos playing the SA lines in the 2"
choir played on their
own, the induced differential notes were so strong, that they nearly blew my
eardrums. Not really,
but the sound was not pleasant, when not covered by the full ensemble, where it
actually helped
re-enforcing the bass notes played on much larger instruments.

The British brass band movement doesn’t use horns, but their older history is
relevant in this
matter also. When Adolphe Sax created his Saxhorn family, he named the members
in a fashion which
we have touched on in earlier threads. The tenor was in Eb (but actually plays
the alto function,
the narrow Bb Saxhorn baryton/baritone plays the tenor, the wide Bb saxhorn
basse/euphonium plays
the bass or the soloing cello type stuff, and the lowest member was the Eb
Saxhorn contrebasse en
Mi bemol/tuba. There was no BBb tuba in the original saxhorn family. Neither
had the US bands BBb
basses until around 1880.

The desire for a full contrabass fundamental on the final chords can be
deducted from old brass
band scores, where the euphoniums split out in a fourth on the last note. That
implies that the
fifth between the Eb bass and the 2nd euphonium plus the fourth between the 2
euphoniums both
create a very audible note an octave below the lowest written note, the one of
the Eb tuba.

Some other poster compared Tuckwell’s execution of the multiphonics to a
foghorn. I can tell you,
that this is a sign of his very exact ears. If one succeeds in playing as well
as singing exactly
in tune on multiphonics, then it is a body-shattering experience. I have tried
it myself, but it
takes so much regular practising, that I gave up on it. It is called for so
rarely, that I didn’t
want to waste more time on it.

Sorry for straying, but I am a generalist and now mostly a historian.

But then I have to say, that in my opinion the most successful brass sections
in orchestras are
those adding up their forces also through exact intonation. In horn sections
this works best, when
the section does not tune to the 1st (top line), but to the lowest line, be it
written in the 2nd
or 4th part.

Klaus Smedegaard Bjerre