Hans,

I think that you are remembering "You're Darn Tootin'" (1928)

IMDB lists it <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019607/>

I found couple of stills from this movie years ago. One apparently shows
them being evicted by their "mean old lady" character actor landlady and
the other shows them looking downcast in a confrontation with their
bandmaster. The credits list Hardy as Ollie, the French Horn Player, but he
is holding a circular mellophone that looks somewhat hornlike. There is at
least one real horn player in the band sitting in the background of this
scene. The bandshell looks a lot like the one on the mall in Central Park (
http://www.centralpark2000.com/database/naumburg_bandshell.html) and may
well be since this structure dates back to 1923. I'd love to know who the
"real" horn player would have been, but I doubt that this can be tracked
down. For all I know, it could have been Jaenicke or one of the other big
names of the era - I'm sure that movie work was lucrative then, even if it
was a silent movie.

If anyone is interested, I can make a scanned copy of one or both of these
images available (for educational purposes only).

Peter Hirsch