I agree with Bill but it's worth noting that there are exceptions to every
rule.

It's funny, but if you think about it, when a 100 people start playing the
horn 4 hours a day and push through to play when they can play no more,
probably only one of them will emerge to continue to play the horn at all,
but that one will probably play the horn very well.

As they often say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but what kills
you is different for everyone, hence the need to take stock of your own
training and the results it produces, and the need to adjust that training
when necessary.  Playing past the proverbial point when you can play no more
is certainly a character builder, but not more than that for most people,
and it can indeed be detrimental to young musicians in both physical and
psychological ways.

-S-