-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bear
Woodson
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 2:25 AM
To: Horn List
Subject: [Hornlist] symphony update (Memphis Horn List)

Hello, Everyone.

    First I'd like to thank Mr. Steven Slaff, Chris

Tedesco, Ms. Nancy Robitaille, and my old friend

Dr. Karen McGale Fiehler, who wrote to me

privately, and others of you, who answered on the

Horn Lists, for the advice you gave in regards to

Low Horn Trills and 6-Horn Scoring. Especially

when Ms. Ms. Robitaille mentioned the word

"brassy", as that was the word I was groping to

remember to use in that passage of LOUD, rowdy

Trills in All 6 Horns individually (each on a

different pitch) and in the Euphonium and Tuba!

    Here is an update on the new symphony that I

am writing in the last 2 months. I'm already

several pages beyond that Brass Trill Passage. I

hope to make this huge symphony to be over an

hour long. Most of the Main Themes from the

First Movement have been "in my ears" for 25

years, or longer, but I am combining some of the

New Fugal Techniques that I've Invented in the

last 2 years. Here is the scoring:

Woodwinds in 3's

6 Horns

3 Trumpets

Euphonium

Tuba

1 Timpanist (4 Timpani)

3 Percussionists

Harp and

Strings

planned movements and timings:

I      Moderato (20 to 25 minutes)

        (21 1/2 min. done by April 8, 2006)

II     fast and jaunty (10 min.)

III    slow (15 to 20 min.)

IV    fast (15 min.)

    (planning at least an hour in length)

    A few composers have been writing melodies in

"Retrograde" ("backwards"), in "Inversion"

("upside-down"), and in "Retrograde-Inversion"

(both "backwards and upside-down"), since the

Renaissance.

    Johannes Ockeghem (ca. 1410-1497) was the

Renaissance Master who invented the "Cancrizans

Canon", which is when you "overlap the Backwards

Version of a melody with its own Original form, at

the same time". Nowadays we'd call a "Cancrizans

Canon" as a "Retrograde Canon", but I'd be hard

pressed to name any other famous composer who

has done this in Non-12-Tone Harmony. However

I've written several, and all in Chromatic Modal

Harmony.

    In like fashion it is possible to write "Inversion

Canons" for which Bach and Mozart wrote a few,

and I've written many. I never did like, nor use "12-

Tone Formulae", and have used Chromatic Modal

Harmony for ALL of my music, including these

kinds of Canons.

    I've also written many "Retrograde-Inversion

Canons", and even 6 of my "Quadruple Directional

Stretto Fugues" (all 4 Directions of the Melody

overlapping and harmonizing with itself, all at the

same time) in various works. I did all of these

Canons and 2 "QDS" Fugues in my "Josquin

Fantasy" for Viola and Orchestra last year.

    Of the Main Themes in this First Movement,

Two are introduced by one or more Horns! One

is a "Horn Call Motive" that is usually 2 bars of

3/4, or one bar of 5/4. The other Main Theme is a

"Horn Melody" in 8-bars of 3/4. Both melodies

are ideas that I've had "in my ears" for over 25

years, and yet each harmonizes against its

Original in Inversion, Retrograde and Retrograde-

Inversion. Therefore in this Symphony I'm doing

all of these kinds of Canons again and 2 more

"QDS" Fugues in the end of this First Movement.

    I'm also trying to make it a type of "Concerto

for Orchestra", by giving Long Solos to EACH

Wind Instrument, String Section and First Chair

String Soloist in the 4 planned movements. I've

already done most of these Soles in the First

Movement, including passages for:

Horns 1, 3 & 5 individually and together,

Horns 2, 4 & 6 together, and

all 6 Horns together, (plus all 6 Horns also have

    passages playing individual trills)

    I plan to give Solo Passages to Horns 2, 4 and

6, individually in the other movements, if not also

by the end of this First Movement. (Every good

player should have their moment in the spotlight!)

    Also, in defiance of the Classical Era Tradition

of letting the First Violins HOG the Melody most

of the time, I, like many composers since the Early

20th Century, AVOID giving the Lead Melody to

the First Violins. The Lead Melody is more evenly

divided throughout the orchestra, although I do let

the First Violins usually remain as the Highest

Voice in the String Choir, when the Strings are

accompanying some other instrument.

    I hope people will like this symphony, when

it's done. It's full of lyrical, noble, heroic Horn

melodies that bring images of adventure and

exploration to mind. The Horn is an instrument

that I deeply admire. The tone ennobles and

inspires me, and hopefully also the audience,

when they hear this symphony some day. This

is why I've already written so many sonatas and

a full Concerto for the Horn.  .  .  .  But I still

have a lot of work ahead of me, so I'd better get

back to it.

    Bear Woodson

    Composer in Tucson, Arizona, USA

"After all my years of study of Modern

Harmony, Counterpoint and Form in Music,

my actual composing is really just a matter of

Taking Dictation from a higher power. When

left to my own strengths, I am worthless,

except as a musical scribe."

- Bear Woodson, (2005)