It's an interesting horn player who can't transpose C, but can bang out high Ds for an hour or so. Must be a student of Maynard Furgeson.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Tyler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: The Horn List <horn@music.memphis.edu>
Sent: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 07:09:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Mozart KV 329, Alto or Basso?

Listers, correct me if I'm wrong, but if Mozart wrote something in Bb or C with trumpets AND horns, the horns would be basso. Horns in Bb or C alto would place them in the same range as the trumpets. Let the trumpets play the high notes
... that's their job.

Bill

John Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Cousins, I've just been handed a part
to Mozart's
Sonata in C, KV 329 (317a), for 2 violins, 'cello,
bass, 2 oboes, 2 horns, 2 trumpets, tymps, and organ,
for a gig in a couple weeks. It is the second horn
part, and it has been transposed to horn in F.

The original part clearly must be for horn in C. The
question is: alto or basso?

The part has been transposed alto, taking the second
horn up to high B several times (first horn has a
corresponding number of high Ds), and there are many
high As. Can this be correct?

(I don't have access to a score.)

Thanks in advance.

--John

J Mason
Charlottesville, Virginia

DEMOCRACY OF SPEED, a Photo Documentary Project:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s/john-m/john-m.html