Hornfolks
My absolute opinion.  If one purchases an 8d; one would wish to do his/her best
effort to obtain an Elkhardt 8d.  Especially L,M,N series and perhaps even the
rarer earlier series.  One may do quite a bit of shopping, searching  &
haggling with collectors of these wonderful horns; but it is WORTH it.  I had
an L series & loved it for 20 yrs.  It got trashed on a Mexico City bus (not my
fault).

When they moved the factory to Texas, the quality of 8d's fell quite
dramatically.

 I accidentally, due to the purposeful action of a dishonest music store owner
in Alabama, obtained an 8d that I was told was an Elkhardt; however proved to
be an hybrid (some Texas some whatever.....)  It was a piece of ****; played
out of tune; valves froze up; metal too thin for my taste .  I got rid of it
after 2 yrs, bought my Millenium Merker 2000 & loved it.  Still have it; still
love it but it is not the same as an 8d.....  If I could get another Elkhardt
8d I would fork over the $ in an instant if I had it.

I understand the factory has moved to a different location & improved the
quality of the 8d.  I have not played any of these horns, therefore cannot
offer my honest opinion; however should I come across one, the list will know
my honest thoughts, both good and not so good.

and as far as placing a different model of leadpipe on a horn.  One wishes to
be most cautious in doing this.  I had a (particular unnamed brand) of leadpipe
installed on my old Alexander Mainz horn; which; prior to this, played
perfectly on tune; tested perfect on a chromatic strobotuner.  After the
leadpipe was installed, the horn played FEROCIOUSLY out of tune.   In addition,
the PERSONS (I will not give out the name because everyone knows who they
are...); did something to the valves that caused them to leak worse than they
had before; in addition, they polished the horn so much that the metal became
quite thing (it was unlacquered.

 I had to sell it & got my Elkhardt, due to a happy coincidence in Moss
Landing, CA where an antiques dealer had 2 of them for $150.00 apiece purchased
from a dentist who had intended to hang them on his wall as garden ornaments.
Thank God I got to that horn before someone else.  It saved my playing.

best wishes to all of you

Rachel Harvey