Perhaps some of this reaction may simply depend on one's tolerance of the
sound of the flute. I happen to be one of those (whose numbers happen to
have included Mozart - not that I'm comparing myself to him, mind you) who
just cringe when asked to listen to flute music being played, even if the
music is decent and the player exceptional. I do find that my senses do
allow me to feel pleasure when listening to Griffes' Poem for flute and
Mahler's use of tripled and quadrupled flutes on occasion is a nice effect,
but that's about it.

A few years back, I wrote some liner notes for a CD of Ewazen's
"Shadowcatcher" and had to listen to it umpteen times in the process. I
still liked the piece at the end, though not exceedingly and I have a good
deal of respect for his understanding of the capabilities of wind
instruments that I have heard in several of his other pieces. Even so, I
purchased the CD with the flute and horn and piano thingie on it only
because I just have to have any horn related recordings that represent
music new to the world of recorded sound in particular. I listened to it
once and that was just about enough (for me).

As is often stated on this list in one form or another - your mileage may
vary.

Cheers (this salutation also plagiarized),

Peter Hirsch

<date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:20:34 -0700
<from: "Daniel B. Hrdy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<subject: [Hornlist] Re: Re: Works  for Horn and Flute - flames
<
<Wow, different tastes!
<Every horn payer I know loves the Ewazen Ballad Pastorale and Dance.  The
<first movement, which was not on the clip, is somewhat more "edgy" than
the
<other two, but I think all are wonderful.  You should at least try it out
-
<it is a lot of fun to play.
<
<DBH