Pitch sense certainly is crucial to horn playing, but the 'feel' (or 'taste'
as I call it) for the production of pitches can serve perfectly well by
itself for accurate playing. I rely on it, since I don't have 'stage 3'
perfect pitch. I only 'hear' the pitch mentally in an almost abstract or
intuitive way, though in the activity of playing I suppose I am able to
predict and 'sing' if need be any pitch in question. Put another way, as I
approach the first note of the day for example, I don't think I could sing
the note I'm about to play, but I know exactly how to produce it, and
recognize it as successful (or not) the instant I play.

On a related note ;-), I do have 'stage 1' perfect pitch, which allows me to
readily identify the pitch absolutely when I hear a horn, whether live or on
recording, in virtually any context, even if played by a beginner with
non-hornlike tone. This implies of course that I am listening to horn sound
in some way that is different than for other tonal colors somehow. David
Burge (the 'Perfect Pitch Seminar' guy) describes all these phenomena in his
writings.

I assume that most experienced horn players share this 'stage 3' type of
perfect pitch hearing ability?

Bob Dickow
Lionel Hampton School of Music