Hello  Rachel, this is really important, but more, it is
important to know that playing in pitch is a "floating
task". Why ? Our brass instruments, also the woodwinds are
not tuned in a "metric" system but an "acoustical" system
where the halfsteps are not equal. So we have to listen with
whom we are playing along. We also have to know which note
of a chord has to be played a bit stronger than the others
to create a perfect tuned chord. This is not limited to the
"leader" (player) of the chord. To balance a chord does not
mean that all play with the same strength. As soon as the
chord is balanced really - when all sounding notes are
brought to the right relation - the chord will be in tune.

To achieve this, one has to tune the instrument carefully
first, but have to listen to the other players carefully AND
allways. And it is necessary, to re-adjust (fine adjust) the
instrument during the piece, as many factors will influence
tuning during a piece: embouchure will get better or worse
thus lowering or rising the pitch individually. The
instrument itself will get warmer or cooler (depending on
the situation - many rests instead playing like the others
or playing much more than the others), so needing
adjustment.

Etcetcetc - never ending task.