Message text written by The Horn List
>Anyway,  unlike most  people, she didn't
laugh.   She let me finish my tale then unsmiling  said, "Yes, I know, it
was
my grandad."<

Dear Lawrence and List

Hmmm - this reminds me of a rehearsal years ago with a certain conductor
who has now got quite a high reputation.  Two deputy violinists - one an
old pro and one a fresh young budding superstar were sharing a desk.  The
rehearsal was going very badly and, during a pause for a 'scrub', the older
player turned to the younger and said words to the effect of (probably
stronger) "this conductor is a complete idiot and I have just about had it
up to here!"  The younger player retorted "he is practically my brother in
law!"  The rehearsal continued with the older player frantically wondering
how to dig herself out of this one.  There was another pause for a 'scrub'
at which point the younger player turned round and said "but I completely
agree with you!".

Mind you, I once went offstage after a choral concert in Scunthorpe and in
to the men's bandroom where there was a babble of angry comments about this
xxxx conductor, xxxx beat, xxxx tempi, xxxx understanding of the music,
total idiot, waste of space, take the money, get to the pub and then off
home etc., etc.  I myself did not take part in this and was the only one to
see a man taking off a tail coat in the corner and obviously about to burst
into tears.

But I must admit that, in the same hall, I once totally wrecked a horn solo
during the rehearsal of a choral concert (actually, I think that you were
on that one Lawrence - off stage horn call in 'The Canterbury Pilgrims' -
rest of horn section in fits of mirth when I returned to the stage - ring
any bells?).  I think I got it right on the night (it was over 30 years
ago) but, changing afterwards, I found myself standing next to one of the
choristers who said "what was wrong with that xxxx French Horn player this
afternoon?"  I responded "I don't know but he has got to go!" - and with
that, I left.

Cheers

Paul A. Kampen (W. Yorks UK)