At 3:31 AM +0000 5/21/06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I got in big trouble with music theory because I 'could' hear the chors and MISSPELLED them as many chords SOUND the same but LOOK different. I did not believe this for a few years until my teacher sat me down and explained that I must not 'listen' to the chords; only spell them as outlined in the text.

It seems to me that unless you know the function of a chord its spelling is a moot point.

If you are asked to write down "this" chord, and you hear only the chord, any spelling is correct, I'd say.

When you wrote "text" at the end of the above quote, did you mean "context?" Then I think spelling would matter.

When one hears the word "read," how can one know if it's spelled that way or "red," (or "reed," for that matter) without know the context or the word's meaning? As in music, the English language has many words which sound the same but are spelled differently.

Carlberg
--

Carlberg Jones
Guanajuato, Gto.