If any list members are in the Richmond Virginia area on Tuesday May 30,  you
can hear a performance of my Concerto for Horn and Concert Band at a concert
by the Richmond Symphonic Winds. Amanda Burton, the group's Principal Horn,
will  be soloist. Ira Schwartz will conduct. The concert will be at 7:30 p.m.
at  Powhatan High School (Powhatan is a small community a few miles west of
Richmond).

The concerto was written about a year and a half ago. It was commissioned  by
the Richmond Public Schools to honor my long-time friend and colleague in the
 Petersburg Symphony (and member of this List), Nelson Lawson, on the
occasion of  his retirement after many years as Supervisor of Music in the
Richmond
schools.  Nelson gave the first performance in March of 2005 with the Richmond
All-City  High School Band.

Another item of interest on the program will be Dr. Richard Schwartz's
transcription for concert band of the Final Movement of Anton Bruckner's
Eighth
Symphony. Those of you on the list who are aficionados of historic brass
instruments will recognize Dr. Schwartz's name as author of the "Cornet
Compendium," the definitive history of the development of the Cornet in the
19th  Century.

Emory Waters