Hello -=
        I talked to my teacher about this problem and he suggested
sanding down/thinning my mute corks, as his thought was that the mute
was NOT going far enough into the bell (like not one's hand (which is
why it was playing quite sharp)).  I did that, and it fixed the
problem. I did try using the "tuning tube" in the mute, but it did not
lower the pitch quite enough.  Any ideas why a mute would be in tune
farther out in a small bell horn but out of tune (sharp!) farther in a
large bell horn?
        One of the reasons I got this mute is because of the fact that
it was tunable.  The red and white Stonelined mutes... had creative
intonation tendencies on my horn.
        In any case, the problem is now fixed.
Thanks,
Ben

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:46:44 -0700 Wendell Rider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2006, at 10:00 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > message: 3
> > date: Wed, 31 May 2006 21:19:52 -0600
> > from: Benjamin Reidhead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > subject: [Hornlist] Mute intonation
> >
> > Hello -
> >     With my recent purchase of an 8D to replace my Atkinson, I have
> > run across an unexpected problem.  Whereas before muted horn was
> > perfectly in tune (on the medium bell Atkinson), muted horn on the 8D
> > is now quite sharp (20-30 cents).  I currently use a large Ion Balu
> > mute (which is supposed to match larger bell horns) with thicker
> > corks.
> > Would the thicker corks be causing the intonation issue?  How can I
> > lower the pitch of the mute?
> > Ben
> >
> Since you are playing a larger bell horn now, the mute goes in
> farther, effectively shortening the length of the horn and thus it
> plays sharp. This is why we have tunable mutes. Maybe this is
> simplistic but I think it sums it up. If there is a movable tube
> inside your mute you need to adjust it.
> I always check the intonation of a mute when I switch horns and I
> wouldn't own anything but a tunable mute.
> Sincerely,
> Wendell Rider
> For information about my book, "Real World Horn Playing" and the
> summer seminar, go to my website: www.wendellworld.com

Benjamin Reidhead
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Poudre School District, Ft. Collins, Co.

"No opera plot can be sensible,
for people do not sing when
they are feeling sensible."

W. H. Auden (1907 - 1973)