From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Paul Kampen
Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 8:03 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: RE: [Hornlist] Compiled Post: Orchestra Pranks: My
Opinionsfor Everyone

Message text written by The Horn List
>Late Kurt Woess (Linz, Bruckner Orchestra) had hard time
with us young horn players & woods in the early 1960ies.
Once I fixed two pages of the Flying Dutchman score<

Dear Hans and List

I remember him!  Smoked cigarettes in a long holder a la
Noel Coward as I recall as did Jack Coles at the BBC Midland
Orchestra in Birmingham.

He once told us a story of when he was conducting the Vienna
Philharmonic in Bruckner 5 and he complained that the 'cello
section was not big enough.
 So, in the next rehearsal, there was an extra desk of
'cellos who were, as he put it 'pensioners'.  They sat with
stony faces and their left wrists hardly moved.  Herr Woess
said "more vibrato cellos" - no reaction.  Again Herr Woess
stopped and said "more vibrato cellos"  Again no reaction.
So Herr Woess stopped again and walked over to the back desk
of the cello section and shouted at the top of his voice
"more vibrato cellos!"  And so, when they started again, as
Herr Woess put it, "they vibrate - once!"

It was a privilege to do concerts of the Viennese repertoire
with him and we looked forward to doing a run of Lehar's
Merry Widow without the stodge which British conductors
always manage to add to this wonderful score.
Sadly, he died before this could come to pass.

And it reminds me of another Vienese conductor, still at the
top of his game, who was once asked by a certain principal
percussion player in a rehearsal where I was depping
(actually in the same orchestra as the 'Oberon in E flat'
and 'raised music stand' stories) in a Johann Strauss etc
concert - "where shall we put the jokes?" - he replied -
"Yokes! - YOKES!!!! - if zere are yokes - I make ze yokes!!"
You do not mess with guys like that!

Happy memories!

Paul A. Kampen (W. Yorks UK)