Hello. I hope someone can relate to this and help me out. About 4 months ago I started developing two red areas on my lower lip where the mouthpiece rests. They kept getting bigger and now are open sores. I have been using a gold plated rim for years. I switched to a delrin (plastic) rim on my metal stem and for about a week things started clearing up. Then it came back with a bang! I have been to my dentist who says that I am developing an allergy to the metal in my permanent bridgework (probably nickel) only on the outside of the gums where the cheeks are, but not on the inside of the gums . He can not explain that or the lip sores. I went to a dermatologist who did testing for nickel which turned out to be positive. However, he did not test for any other metals for some reason beyond my understanding. I am going to make an appointment with an allergist.

In the meantime, I have ordered a delrin stem to go with the rim as I think my lower lip is "spilling" into the rim a bit and making contact with the metal of the stem. However, from what I've been told and researched, brass does not contain nickel so I'm thinking I'm allergic to some other metal.

I am slathering vitamin E on my lips about a million times a day in order to make them less painful. Nothing else seems to help and believe me, I've been through the whole line up. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do about it? Also, has anyone ever tried a wood (ebony or some such exotic wood) mouthpiece and what did you think of it? What about stainless steel?

Thanks for your help and I'm really getting desperate. I see a future of no horn playing if this keeps up and that is tragic for me. Karon

believed to be clean.