Hans-

Do you think (that I think...) the horns prefer sitting next to the timpani?
The timpani were not close to the horns-they were about 6 feet to the right of
the 4th horn.

from: "Hans.Pizka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>it is INSANE to have the timpani in the back of the horns

Despite all attempts to convince the director, we are unable to change this in
one group I play in. They have the horns pointed at the audience *and* they are
miked.  We are also in front of the entire brass section of the group (which is
split into 2 halves, one on each side of the conductor).

 MAESTRO                 CONGREGATION (CHURCH GIG)
                          4
STRING/WW       3     BRASS        TIMP HARP
                          2
                          1           OTHER PERC/BASS

VOCALS                     PIANO
CHORUS

>Pointing the horns to the audience directly, is not good

We hardly ever sit in a square in the U.S.  Yes in Japan.

For 8-straight line OR we do a square-and we are nearly always in the back row
but occasionally stage left (Mahler 1)

For Mahler 1 we had a straight line of 8 against shell, stage left, horn 8
facing audience, and 7 extras in a line in back facing straight out to the
audience. On the 1997 tape, the horn balance was just fine.

We never sit next to percussion in performance.  In rehearsal, if space is
tight, sometimes we do have to sit in front of the timpani.  No, we do not like
this at all-but we do make friends with the percussionists because then they
won't try to play too loudly :}

best wishes
Rachel Harvey