From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:30 PM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] For Hans:Re:Mahler Seating2

>Rachel, for the SEVEN horns in Mahler 1 (we do not use an
>assistant) and other 8-horn-pieces we prefer sitting in two
rows, as it
>allows a better blending each other than sitting

Hans, either way is ok.  It depends on how much room we
have. We only use an assistant for Mahler 1 or 2.  None of
the others.

On Mahler 2, we had 10 horns. 2 of the offstage players were
on stage on horns 7 and 8 as well.

>why needing seven extra players for the finale I guess ? Is
it
>necessary to have it that loud ?
>Would be a sign of bad taste by the conductor.

For the last 75 bars because the conductor said Mahler
wanted 'as many horn players as could be fit onto the stage
at once'.  He was not exhibiting 'bad taste'; he was just
following the composer's directions according to the score.