Hans, all very good points, but to play the Mozart was not my suggestion, it
was my teacher's.  I am in no hurry.  He knows that I have no ambitions to
audition or to actually play this as a soloist, and after he heard me
playing some pieces from the back of the Horner book, he said this is what I
should try next.  The reason, I believe, is just what you mention -
fingerings.

I am a very patient student. I imagine most people in my position and with
my background are either very patient or completely impatient, and I'm glad
to be the former and not the latter.  Last night I played this piece with
the metronome at 48 to the quarter-note, which is very slow, I know, but my
method is simple - play it slowly, and when I can play it slowly but very
well, play it a little faster.

The importance of practicing the fundamentals cannot be overemphasized - I
have been making good progress on the horn not because I have been trying to
do anything fancy, but because I have spent months practicing the same few
pages from the beginning and middle of the Horner book, working on making a
consistently good sound, having flexibility in my embouchure, always
practicing pieces that go up and down so as not to get my embouchure "stuck"
in a particular register, never neglecting to practice long, loud low notes,
and practicing long tones in the middle register with varying dynamics.  All
this work has been like money deposited in the bank, and when I turn to the
more difficult pieces in the book, I can play almost every one at sight or
with very little work. My musical background helps, of course.  Putting time
in on the basics - there is no substitute, and on this I am in complete
agreement with you.

And, I want to add, using your mouthpiece has helped.  My endurance and
flexibility improved when I started using it.

I have no plans to practice the second movement at this time, just the
first.  It is a good exercise for me and nothing more - except wonderful
music, of course.

-S-